Thursday, January 21, 2010

Why do craft supplies always multiply?

I've been cleaning out. Again.

It's like a compulsive disease that I have. I feel like I am always cleaning out, getting rid of, purging...and yet, I still seem to gain more stuff.

It could be the clothes. I like having a small selection of clothing - versatile wear for any season. And yet, I like changes in clothing often. I'm not the type of person that wears the same items of clothing over and over and over for years until they wear out. Maybe that is a fault of mine, but I prefer to view it as a ...frugal freshness. (Like that? I just made it up!) I buy most of my clothes second hand and rather cheaply anyway, so why not give them away when I am tired of wearing them and buy something else cheap and cute?

The real reason for this post, and you may have already guessed this, is that I have torn my room apart and I'm somewhat avoiding putting it back together. This has actually been a work in progress since we arrived last Wednesday, and I think I am at the final stretch. If only I could finish the last few shelves - but therein lies the problem, because they are the craft shelves. They house everything from my fabric and yarn for sewing and knitting, to paper and stationery, to candles and picture frames. It's a monster, and I'm not exactly sure how to control it.

There are two sides of me that war when it comes to cleaning out. There is the side that likes simplicity and neatness, freshness and uncluttered spaces. Then there is the side that enjoys stashing, or pack ratting. When something comes up - whether it be a sewing emergency or a last minute Sunday school lesson - I enjoy knowing that I have a stash of 'stuff' that will cover any need. I like reusing and recycling items for other purposes, but often that means that you have to store a lot of junk until the inspiration hits. And I'm not quite sure I want to deal with the whole storing of junk thing.

You can see that I am just putting it off. I've been successful in cleaning out my clothes closet, my bathroom stuff, and even my files - yet this last area remains to be conquered, and presently looks like it puked on my library floor. There are some good things that come out of avoidance - Monday night I made a new curtain and three new throw pillows for my couch. This post has served a good diversionary, and I just remembered a birthday present I have to make. There is hope for the evening yet. :)

So here is your question for the evening. Why do craft supplies always multiply? Does this happen to anyone else? I have a nice, contained area for craft supplies - neatly organized and labeled. Give it a week, two weeks tops, and it looks like all the ribbons and markers and papers had little babies and everything is a wreck. Am I the only one who can't get this area under control?

1 comment:

  1. No, you're not the only one BECAUSE I had planned to do a post on my messy craft closet and how I organized it. Today, I deleted the pics because I figured no one would care. ha! The "before" picture was TERRIBLE!

    I bought a small ottoman from Target for $20 and dumped all of my knitting stuff in there...it includes any and all yarn. That helped tremendously!

    Do you store your craft stuff on open shelves or on shelves in a closet? My craft stuff is in a closet. I bought wire locker-type, assembly-yourself-type shelving a few years ago. But I have two Rubbermaid boxes for the actual crafting things (adhesives, googly eyes, magnetic tape, etc.) because that is definitely the part that is the hardest to keep control of.

    But I'm sure you have a lot more crafting stuff to organize than I do. I have my projects but I don't consider myself a terribly crafty person. :)

    Now maybe I should do that post and we can compare ideas. I'm always on the look-out for fresh organizing skills.

    ReplyDelete