Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Turning Gray

I love quiet and I love gray. My room is my retreat where I can go to get quiet, and this weekend my room turned gray.



Gray is the color of understated beauty. Gray days bring a respite from the sun and signal the coming of precipitation. Snowy gray is my favorite, of course, but I love a good gray rainstorm. Blue grays and green grays are all natural colors found around us. Gray can be such a complex color… it changes hues depending on the light and what is near it.

We all love sunshine, but here in this land of heat and blinding days, bright colors and vibrant life, I crave the respite of gray. I look forward to the gray overcast days and the coolness they often bring. Since that doesn’t happen very often, I decided to bring the gray inside.

To say I love my new color would be an understatement. I received a beautiful white duvet set for Christmas, shown in the picture here. I don’t keep it on my bed all the time. With African dirt, tile floors, a black-haired dog, and an air mattress on the floor, it wouldn’t be white for long! I look forward to using it once I have a real bed, which will hopefully be sometime in March (long story – still waiting for our container). Until then, I don’t really need the extra layers for warmth. ;)

We are enjoying the lull before the storm, so to speak, as our house will be packed to the gills by the end of the week. We have six guys coming from various parts of the world to be part in a six week Missions Mentoring Module. Basically, that means they will be living with us, working on some special missions projects, and receiving training – both classroom teaching and practical field work. It’s going to be a lot of fun, but will be a bit exhausting for all of us. We’ve prepared everything that we can, and save for the final house cleaning and grocery shopping, we’re ready for them to get here. The first couple arrive on Friday and the rest will be arriving through the weekend by various means of transportation.

Here’s to a crazy six weeks, where I look forward to having my nice gray room to retreat to when I need the quiet. :)

8 comments:

  1. This pictures just *feels* peaceful... glad you have been able to create a nice little respite for yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grrr -- I meant "picture." Not "pictures."

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS a beautiful color. You described it so well. :-) It is so nice to have a place to get away, and with such a big crowd coming that will be nice for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Love my gray master bedroom too. And you are so right about it changing with the light - in natural light my room is perfect, but at night under the ceiling light - ick, not so much.

    Glad you have a place just for you in your new home. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You are quite the decorator. The room is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Knowing at least *one* of the guys visiting, you're gonna need allot of room time ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I first read the title I thought you were referring to your HAIR!!!! :-D Relieved that it was just your room color. It looks really nice.

    Janell

    ReplyDelete