Our days are steadily getting cooler as we move into the dry, winter season. The nights are downright chilly, making me reach for a sweater or jacket when the sun goes down. The sun still shines hot and bright each day, however, so sweating is not completely done with for the year.
I've always like the thought of cozying up for winter... bunkering down with warm blankets, hot drinks, and lots of good reading material. This year is no exception, although it is promising to be a busy winter with a couple groups scheduled to come. (Well, one here right now and another scheduled within a few weeks.)
It makes me so happy each evening as I head to my room for the night. I can smell the wood smoke heavy on the air, feel the breeze coming in my open window, and don't feel bad lighting some candles for ambiance. These are the evenings of fuzzy socks and blankets, sipping hot chocolate (made up my own mix with some spicy cayenne and ginger!), and settling in with a good book.
-------------------------
I wrote the above several weeks ago just as the weather was starting to turn cooler, and I think I can safely say that we are in the middle of winter now! The group that was here has gone, and we are getting ready for that second group within a week's time. The wood smoke heavy on the air isn't just coming from neighbors, but now from our own chimney as we light a fire nearly every evening to take the chill out of the air. If you've read here any length of time, then you've heard me wax eloquent before on African houses and their construction - the fact that they have very little insulation makes them like little ovens in the summer and little coolers in the winter.
As much as I am enjoying the cooler weather (it suits me quite fine!), I do feel sorry for those around me that are staying in their little shacks of mud or tin, many sleeping right on concrete floor with only a blanket for cover. I can't imagine how bone-chilling the winter must be for them. Sickness runs rampant during these months, as many succumb to the 'flu' (the catch-all name for a myriad of ailments), coughing, sneezing, and generally just wanting to stay curled up at home rather than be out and about.
For us, we're rather snug in our little house here, burning our fire every evening, piling our beds with blankets and drinking lots and lots of tea and coffee. I still crack my window nearly every evening though... I just love the fresh, cool air - how refreshing!
Beautiful, Rachael! Thank you for sharing. I'm so glad to see you're "back":)
ReplyDelete