Monday, September 20, 2010

Security - September 20th Update

I have to be honest and say that this has been a bit harder on me than I originally thought it would be. I've gone off before to foreign countries, but it has always been with a return date in mind, ticket in hand, end in sight. The duties I handed off were a temporary displacement, ready for me to pick up again when I came back. There was always home base, and the security that came with it.

This time, it's all different, and I didn't expect it to be quite so hard. This time I'm handing off duties, ministries that I've been involved in for years, and I don't know that I'll ever be back to do them again. I had my last Sunday school class with the four and five year olds, had my last turn in the nursery, played my last song for the choir. Soon I will sing my last special, take my last turn on the piano, and do many more 'lasts' that I don't care to think about at this moment. There isn't a return date or much of an end in sight. Not that I think I will be in Botswana for the rest of my life, but just now, I have no direction for the next step in my life.

There is a sense of security that you get when you are in *your* home church. They are your family... and in my case, I've known most of them my whole life! After being involved in so many ministries for so long, it feels strange to be distancing myself from all these things, and it makes me sad when I think I might never be back to participate in them again. Okay...that sounds morbid. God willing, I will be back!!! I will serve at LVBC again!! But, in all seriousness, none of us knows what the future holds. The fact is that this trip, for me, is completely different than any other. I am walking away from all these things with no idea when I will be back again or for how long.

Change is so exciting... but change is also painful as we grow and adapt to the newness. For me, the whole issue revolves around security. On what am I basing my security? Emotions can run the gamut from great happiness to deep sadness all based on what is happening around me. I can be terrified because of the economy, pleased because of someone's kind words, fearful because of impending changes, or ecstatic because of a coming pleasure - and all those things in just a matter of minutes! I can place my security in my physical location, the people around me, a financial cushion, a job or position, or just in the fact that I'm having a good day! Is that really security?

Here it is... this lesson that I've been learning by experience: Security is not just a feeling; it is a truth. Security, by definition, is a freedom - freedom from danger, worry, fear, risk - and it is a well-founded confidence. Security is much more than just an emotion. In fact, if my security is in something that is not a truth (ie: a person who is fallible, a financial situation which could change, or just the fact that the sun is shining) then it is just emotion. If I am trusting in something that can change, it is not well-founded and rather than freedom, I find myself in bondage to the change which is inevitable. In contrast, I can still be secure when my emotions are wreaking havoc on my life and when everything that is familiar is ripped apart. I just have to find the truth and well-founded confidence in which to put my security. Aren't you glad we have God's Word for that?

I can be secure because of:

God's Unconditional Love for me - "Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that HE LOVED US." 1 John 4:10

God's Strength and Courage, just when I need it - "Wait on the Lord: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the Lord." Psalm 27:14

God's Peace, passing all understanding - "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:7

God's Direction - "In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." Proverbs 3:6

And above all else, the thing that gives the most security, God's Unchanging Ways - "God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?" Number 23:19

-----------------------------
The things for the container have all been packed, inventoried, labeled and are ready to make a short trip tomorrow in preparation for the long trip they will be taking over sea. We won't receive the container until after the New Year, so we've tried to plan ahead and pack only the heavy things needed long term - so that basically came down to books, some literature we had printed here, more books, and bookshelves. And a few boxes of other household items...but mostly books. :)

This past Sunday was the official transition of the pastorate from my dad to my oldest brother, our new Pastor. Such a tearful, joyful, emotional service - for all the good reasons. We look forward to the days to come with great expectation for what the Lord is planning to do. We serve such a great God!

21 days until take-off!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! I have been following your blog for a little while now, I know Jackie Gable, she came out of my home church, Bible Baptist!

    I understand how you are feeling, after living in the same town my entire life we moved this summer, with another family, to start a church! To say its going to be easy, would just be lying, its hard and I still have days where I really miss my friends, church family and my brother (stayed at BBC). At the same time though, there is this peace in knowing your EXACTLY where God wants you to be. There are so many blessings even through the hard time and God is always faithful to comfort!

    Just wanted to share that with you, I have been encouraged to read your blog posts, and I look forward to hearing more about your move and living in Botswana!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel,
    You wrote about change in a great way. Not having security in the wrong things was something I've had to learn and continue to learn.
    Also your last post on working for your Dad, was great! I can totally relate with working for my Dad.. something different every day. :)
    Thanks for a great post, excited for you as you go to Botswana.
    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Rachel for that post. =) It means so much to me as I can relate, not nearly as much as your situation, but I get that same feeling and have myself "Where have I placed my security?". You have just cleared up a lot for me. Thank you! God bless as you go up higher. ;)
    Luv ya.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, girls! I must say...these are my more 'melancholic' thoughts, deep down... but as a whole, I am so VERY EXCITED to be moving to Africa in less than 3 weeks. I know that I'm not the only one that struggles with this issue (security is probably the number 1 thing that girls are looking for!), so it's a blessing to me that you were encouraged by this and have been through similar situations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel,

    Just like my sister, I too have been quietly following your blog for a while. I'm certainly looking forward to reading about this new chapter in your life!

    As you already know, we recently moved as part of the Hwy 20 project. I completely understand the mix of emotions you must be going through right now. I miss everyone, but at the same time it feels natural to be here and it's exciting to see what God is doing! God is so good!

    ReplyDelete