Sunday, February 20, 2011

Post Valentine's Day

I wrote this the day after Valentine's Day, and almost thought about not posting it. But I think it might be an encouragement to some of you. It doesn't really matter if we are single or married, it doesn't really matter if we are old or young - are you following and doing God's will? He has a plan for you, He has a purpose for you, He has a job for you to do TODAY. Are you living it?
--------------------------------

Every year, I find myself thinking the same thing. “I just feel like by this time next year everything will be different. By this time next year, I’ll know who I’m going to marry and the plans of my life will drastically change.” And every year, the plans of my life drastically change, but here I am, still single and absolutely no idea who I will marry.

So I was wondering last night, which happened to be Valentine’s Day – how would my life have been different over the last seven years if instead of being sure that marriage was coming before the next love holiday, I was just living as if I would be single for those seven years? Would I have lived my life differently? 

And I came to the conclusion that no, for the most part, I wouldn't have changed anything about these last seven years, had I known then what I know now. Of course, there are some small decisions that I regret. There are some days I wish I could erase, some pity parties I wish I could remove from the records, a lot of wasted time spent on frivolous things that I don’t even remember now. But the big decisions of my life – the decision to continue my education, the decision to work for my church, the decisions to travel and help missionaries, the decision to stay single thus far, the decisions to save money and invest money in worthy goals rather than an apartment and car, the decision to move halfway around the world with my family without a ‘man in sight’ – none of these big decisions do I regret, and none of these decisions do I think I would have done differently had I known, at the tender age of 18, that I would still be single on my 26th birthday.

It’s a nice feeling, knowing that I have lived my life thus far without regrets, and the glory for that is not in my great decision-making skills, but in the protection of God! I can imagine if I had stayed home, forgone school and just twiddled my thumbs waiting for my Prince Charming, I would be a little disillusioned by now and be regretting those choices. But instead I got out there and did something. I was busy, I was productive, and I thank the Lord that He was able to use me in small part in some amazing ministries. I’ve made a lot of friends around the world and I’ve seen a lot of interesting things along the way, but those are just the frosting on the cake. The sweet, sweet cake is that God had and still has a plan for my life. Some people are sad that it isn’t laid out in one fell swoop, but I’m glad that He reveals it only one step at a time. Sometimes, even the next step seems a little bit hazy, but that just adds to the suspense of how He will lead. My next step is looking a little blurry right now, so I’ll be ecstatic to see how He works everything out. :)

To all the single girls out there, especially to the younger ones fresh out of high school, this is my advice. Don't put yourself in someone else's box. There are a lot of books out there that tell single girls how they should be living. But just like any other area of life, it is not a one-size-fits-all will of God. Of course, there are some things that are clearly defined by Scripture that every Christian should be doing. But in other areas of life - where you go to school and for how long, where you live, how you support yourself or whether you are dependent on others - all these areas must be decided by you. Don't be overwhelmed by it all; just do the next thing that God wants you to do. And that is the most important thing I think I can tell you - every day, ask yourself this question: What does God want me to do TODAY? I pray that in seven years, whether you be single or married, you can also look back and see the hand of God leading you every step of the way!

11 comments:

  1. Completely agree, especially now that I look back on my single years from the perspective of being married. It's never a mistake to live for the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN! What an encouragment! This is the conclusion that I have come to recently. I want to look back and see a fruitful time of singleness, not a time of sitting while I wait. Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have *lots* of regrets since high school in different decisions I have made [re: schooling, etc...]. However, I'm thankful to where the Lord has brought me NOW. One day, I will look back and see how He has worked everything out for good.

    This was a great post, Rachel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was 16 and never had a date, I thought I would always be at home, and be an old spinster. But then we moved and within a very short time I met the man that I would marry three years later. I often wonder--would I have still met him if we didn't move? It's wasted time!!! God knows the timing--we are just along for the ride!!!! God does indeed have a plan for you...you are an intelligent girl and you are serving the Lord. When the time is right, the Lord will provide...just keep serving HIM. You can't go wrong!!! Shirley, LVBC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words were a blessing to me: "But instead I got out there and did something. I was busy, I was productive, and I thank the Lord that He was able to use me in small part in some amazing ministries."
    They made me think about if I would change how I've lived over the past 6 years if I'd have known that I'd be single right now. Life is different than I thought, but I do not think that happiness only comes from marriage. It really is about doing what God wants for your life today. I am constantly praying asking God to confirm that He does want me where I am at, and asking if I need to move or change. It is a good way to live, knowing that God has placed you somewhere for a reason, yet being willing to be moved if it is His will.
    I like your perspective and writing thanks for sharing with us girls,
    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm no lady, but I thought I'd comment anyway. I always like when people speak up about this subject. There is a terrible pressure coming from modern Christianity culture that says a person isn't complete or hasn't reached there full potential until they find a spouse. Personally, I find this thought bogus and completely unfounded in scripture. The people that push this idea have caused young people to make some bad life decisions and much unneeded pain(more on women than men). And though it's not something I've ever struggled with, it still makes me a little ticked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cool, I just had this revelation myself by God's grace this past month! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post! I completely agree with you, its SO important to use our time being single, keeping busy working for the Lord. Rather than sitting, twirling our thumbs waiting for our knight in shining armour to appear :o) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. TwiceBorn, also known as Tobias, you are quite a fellow. Maybe I'll email you and learn a little more specs on you.

    Rachel, good thoughts. They coincide with I Cor. 7:32-34. I sometimes read some of your posts just to get a fuller insight on the ministry in Botswana.

    David Warner

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great article, Rachel. Appreciate you sharing your heart! Your Posts are always so good!
    Praying for you! Love, Mrs. Hall

    ReplyDelete