Saturday, November 12, 2011

Home again...

...home again, jiggety jig. What continent am I on? What time zone am I in? What season is this, anyway?

Our crazy trip to the States was fabulous and crammed with about a year's worth of experiences in less than six weeks. I guess that's what you get. I do have to say that I had a whole list of restaurants and foods to try while I was back, and it was all sadly disappointing. Nothing tasted quite as good as I remembered it to be. :) Maybe it was the fact that I was sick more than half our trip; maybe it was just fond memories growing more pleasant with time.

One thing I know I did enjoy was SNOW. Yes, that's right... Pennsylvania had a record-breaking snowfall before October was even over. The only problem with it was that the heavy snow settling on trees still covered in leaves caused a lot of limbs breaking and power lines being knocked over. Thousands of people lost power, many for several days. We were without power at my brother's house for six days, so that was an exciting end to an eventful trip. I honestly didn't pray for all that damage and destruction, but it was a heartfelt wish of mine to see snow before settling in for another long summer. Guess I got my wish. :) I wasn't there to see it falling, but we flew in the next day and I think getting to see the arial view of snow patterned across houses and fields was just about as good. Next time I'll be a little more specific. :) PLUS... I got to wear my boots, a lot. I bought them at the end of a season a couple years ago and haven't really had a good chance to wear them until the last couple weeks.

It was wonderful to get caught up with family and friends... and I don't think it was as hard to say goodbye this time. I mean, goodbyes are always hard and just a part of life, but knowing what I was coming back to made this departure so much easier. Also, the uncertainty of my time here (given my current visa situation) causes me to want to make use of every moment I have here.

After another long trip (just over 51 hours from doorstep to doorstep, although that does include a few hours of resting at a guest house between long airplane ride and long car ride :), a dead car battery, trying to adjust to time changes and the sweltering heat, we finally arrived home. All our luggage arrived safely, our house was snug and secure, but to our dismay, we found one of the dogs ran away. This makes me very sad, but I'm still hopeful that she might come home. Poor Kiara, lost and alone. :(

Today the temperature was well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit, so you could say that we have settled into summertime. It's hard to believe we were standing in snow exactly two weeks ago. :) The heat... it just gets to you. It really does take a few days to adjust to it, to learn how to pace yourself, remember to drink lots of water, try to stay in the shade.

We got our fridge and pantry stocked this morning and then cleaned house this morning from the layers of dust and armies of spiders that moved in while we were away. Now I'm getting caught up on emails, playing Christmas music, and trying to think happy, cool thoughts. :) Maybe a long, cold shower would be a good way to end this day!

I'm looking forward to the next couple weeks of trying to get caught up with my ladies. After the first week of December... who knows? Just taking it one day at a time, which is generally a good idea in this uncertain life anyway. :)

1 comment: