Saturday, October 31, 2009

My Kitchen Curtains

You knew it wouldn't be long before I had to redecorate something around here... :)

This house had some unique challenges. Of course, it needed a good scrubbing and a bit of TLC, but there were some further problems to be addressed. One of these problems was a set of shelves needed for the office supplies. My brother and I rigged up a 3-tiered bookshelf by taping together three paper boxes and setting them on their side. It works for now, but is starting to get a bit saggy. We may have to look into it a bit more. LOL

The first time we walked in the house, it was around 4 o'clock, and the afternoon sun was streaming (beating) in the kitchen window, heating up the entire house. From noon until the sun goes down, the sun shines straight into these windows in the back of the house.

My solution? I found an extra bed sheet (there were several sets of twin sheets already in the house), some clothespins, some strips of cloth to tie it back, and a pair of scissors to cut it up. The result:



I'm pretty happy with the results, although it wouldn't really work as a long-term solution. But it works for us, and the red of the sheet against the butternut yellow of the walls goes perfectly with the couple of Autumn towels we brought with us.

Here is the rest of the kitchen:



No comments:

Post a Comment