Monday, March 15, 2010

The first step of a new journey

Well, word gets around fast, but in case you haven't heard or you don't know me in real life, let me give you the story. :)

We're moving to Botswana!

Though the seed of such a plan has been germinating for a long time - years even - everything has come together so quickly, my head is still spinning a bit. We talked about it while still in Africa, and upon arrival to the States, the plan was set in motion. Our church voted on Sunday night to send my parents out as missionaries and call my brother to be the senior pastor.

It is an exciting and terrifying time all together. So many changes at once, and though most are happy changes, I never quite imagined this is what I would be doing leading up to my 25th birthday.

To be perfectly honest, I never imagined that this would happen. I always thought that it would be us kids preparing to go off, leaving my parents safe and snug in our little rock house. I always thought I would be packing up my things to store with my mother while I went off to far lands, leaving them here like they've always been. But instead, it is my parents packing up and going off, and I am blessed to just be along for the ride. We're excited to see what God will do.

I won't share much of our philosophy of missions and purpose in going, because all of that will be posted in our presentation videos, which will soon be uploaded to my dad's blog. I'll be sure to point you that way when they are available, for anyone who is interested.

It seems a bit strange to be an older child following my parents to the mission field. I think it is somewhat counter-cultural, because so many missionary kids come back to the states after graduating from high school. While I can understand why they would want to, I am looking at this as an opportunity from God. For now, He is leading me back to Botswana. I might be there for a matter of months or a matter of years, but for now that is the direction I am to go. I, for one, couldn't be happier about it.

From PK to MK. How messed up can I get?

There is much to do. For me, high on the priority list is graduating this spring. :) Then there is the packing and cleaning out to do - and oh, you wouldn't believe how much there is to do there! We have lived in this house for 22 years, and we have the junk piles to prove it. We also have a lot of things that we don't wish to get rid of - things like books and souvenirs from around the world, piles of pictures and mementos from special days, memories packed into all corners of the house. This house has been our safe haven for almost as long as I can remember. We grew up in this house, we added to our family in this house, we celebrated holidays and birthdays, we weathered storms in the church, and it is hard to just put all that aside. It is just a house, and I hope I'm not being too sappy when I say I love it. I know every creak in the floor and every crack in the walls; this old farmhouse of ours will be sorely missed.

Then there is the preparation for going - the giving off of responsibilities, and not just for short term. There are visits and meetings, prayers cards and displays, and above all else, videos. Ahh...the presentation video. My very first one...and I think it turned out all right in spite of me. :)

6 comments:

  1. Yippee!!! I am so thrilled for you and your family. :) Mr. DOtson said it was bittersweet and that pretty much sums it up for us a church. But now the real fun begins ~ packing, sorting, cleaning, preparing, MOVING to the field! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....awesome!

    I'm going to "miss" you...miss knowing that you're in PA. I still hope to make it out to PA someday for a visit. But I'm glad I will get to read about all of the adventures going on during deputation and especially on the field!

    xxRebeccaxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've enjoyed reading about your trips to Africa in the past so I can't wait to see all that is in store for you now! How exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are going to miss you guys SO much!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel,
    What an incredible opportunity! Praying for your family as you go.
    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  6. A mostly-lurker coming out of the woodwork here to say I know how you feel, although for me it was going the other direction. After living in the same house on the mission field in Japan for 22 years, we threw away, cleaned out, and generally purged nearly everything we owned and packed up a shipping crate and moved to the States. God bless you as you go...

    ReplyDelete