Thursday, March 04, 2010

How do I get myself in these things?

I've never had such trouble writing anything in my life.

The only thing that stands between me and my Bachelor's is my thesis. I've done the research, written my outline and course objectives, even breaking everything down into 6 sections with specific goals, splitting each section into three 5-page segments and writing some skeleton tests. But have I been able to actually write the material? No.

Last week, I finally churned out the first of the six sections. (I had a meeting and had to have something to prove I was actually working! :) What I ended up with was pretty good, but also written on the level of a senior in high school, when I'm supposed to be writing for 7th graders.

(As a side note, I was involved in a little skit at a teen girl's activity on Saturday. I was playing the part of a self-centered author who realizes that her book is an absolute failure and full of bad advice. Ironically, as I was 'in character', banging my head against the table and saying, "Stupid, stupid idea"...I was actually thinking about that first of six sections that I wrote the day before. Ha!)

So this past week has helped me take a step back and reassess some things. How do you write a history course for 7th graders? In particular, how do you take something like Baptist History, with all its controversy and deeper subjects, and present it in a way that will be interesting and understandable to a 7th grader? There's a lot of terms, a lot of doctrinal issues, and a lot of sketchy information. It's not impossible, but I think I've been coming at it completely wrong.

I'm determined to finish this thing. I've been thinking about it for so long...it's time to get it over with!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment