My Bible was falling apart... I've taken the binding completely apart two or three times and glued it back together. This last time I used super glue, and haven't had any problems with pages falling out for several months. :)
However, now the 'leather' cover was beginning to deteriorate, peel, and fall off. I briefly thought about replacing it with a new Bible, but the thoughts of abandoning my old friend with all its familiar markings and placement scared me. Seriously... I can picture a verse in my mind and know exactly where on the page it is located, even if I can't remember the exact reference. I've had this Bible for well over ten years, but the pages are still in wonderful shape... it just needed a new casing to keep the pages intact.
I decided to go with a recovering in fabric. I'm not sure how long it will hold up, but it looks nice for now, and if the fabric does start to peel off or fray, I just used rubber cement so it should come right off for replacement. If it helps me get a few more years of service out of my Bible before I have to replace it for a new one, I'll be happy!
Oh, that looks good! I feel the same way about my Bible. I don't want to give it up but it doesn't look pretty on the outside.
ReplyDeleteThat looks really pretty! When it starts falling apart you should just have it professionally rebound. My dad did that with one of his Bibles.
ReplyDeleteI'll have to remember that when my Bible starts to wear like that. Very cute! Although I think my issue right now is making sure that I don't eat around it. I must have been eating something sweet a while back because the pages around 1 Peter are sticking together. I'm always worried that one day they will tear apart.
ReplyDeleteI think I might borrow this idea for my falling-apart Bible!
ReplyDeleteAnd I LOVE the paisley!
~Pam
Rachel - I've looked into the rebound option, but I should have decided to do that much sooner if I wanted to get it done. :) I'll probably consider it down the road though, when this starts to fall apart. My brother had the rebinding done, and his looks fabulous!
ReplyDeleteAnd the paisley print was 70% off at JoAnn's... got 1/2 a yard for $3, and still have lots leftover!
ReplyDelete