Sitting at my desk with a piece of berry pie and melty cream cheese ice cream, coffee hot and steaming. The breeze is pushing through my open window, feeling cool and wonderful after our hot day. Such a lovely summer evening!
Today our internet was pretty spotty, so I did the only sensible thing and abandoned plans that rely on a wifi connection. Instead I got several items marked off my list of things to do before we leave. It was a lovely, relaxing day, in that it wasn't spent largely in front of a screen. :)
Took a quick walk through the downtown market to see some of my ladies. It was so crazy for a Tuesday! This Friday and Saturday are national holidays, so everyone is coming into town to buy lots of food and do other shopping. Then this weekend, it will probably be a ghost town, as most everyone goes back to their home village to see family. And get drunk, which is the sad reality of holidays here.
Stopped by the grocery store to pick up road trip food (for our long drive to the Joburg airport) and noticed yet another sign apologizing for the inconvenience of some product being indefinitely out of stock. Since being here (not quite a year), we've gone through periods of time without milk, cheese, yogurt, sour cream, lunchmeat, bacon, and most recently, certain fruits. This is due to a variety of factors that are sometimes referenced on the 'we apologize for the inconvenience' signs. It could be hoof and mouth disease (seems to be the biggest culprit) or fruit fly infestations, or just a simple shortage and South Africa keeps it all for themselves. (Not that I blame them) This time it was potato chips... due to a shortage of potatoes for the Simba plant. As we stood there reading the sign (though not much disappointed by it, I must confess), my brother said, "You know you've been in Africa too long when you go to the grocery store and read the shortage signs for amusement." Ha! Maybe no one else finds that funny but me. :)
Now I'm off to play a game with my brother and my mom. Oh, I never shared my Catan picture here, did I? We love the game Catan... played it a couple times at a cousin's house. Since it wasn't exactly available to purchase here, I spent a few free evenings cutting out pieces and making up pawns and cards. So now we can play Catan, even if our 'roads' keep blowing away when we have the fan on. :)

Ha, I found the "shortage joke" funny too. You gotta live in Africa to understand it. :-)
ReplyDeleteWow I am super impressed with the homemade board game. Gooo Rachel!!!