Thursday, October 07, 2010

Countdown: 5 Days

"...rid yourself before God of everything that might be considered a possession until you are a mere conscious human being standing before Him and then give God that." - Oswald Chambers


I read this quote recently on a missionary friend's Facebook page, and it struck a deep chord with me. That could have something to do with all the giving up of physical possessions. But surrender is more than just giving up physical possessions. The Lord has used this time of 'giving up' to teach me some valuable lessons - about myself and about surrender.

The point is not how much or how little one is giving up or one possesses. The problem lies much deeper than that - it is an issue of the heart. God may want me to be a pauper, or He may want me to be a king, but either way, He wants my heart and He wants all of it. 

When you take it all away, all the possessions, all the titles and honor, all the family ties and obligations, what do I want out of my life?

My Desire

Lord, I don't want my feet to traverse the world; I want to be Your feet, taking the good news to someone who has never heard. I want to be Your feet, responding in perfect sync, no matter what direction You want me to go.

I don't want my hands to hold possessions of worth and esteem; I want to be Your hands, holding out the eternal Word of life. I want to be Your hands, ministering to all You bring into my path.

I don't want my eyes to view situations in selfish interest; I want to be Your eyes, viewing situations with an eternal perspective. I want to be Your eyes, looking past the problems to see the possibilities.

I don't want my lips to speak my own praise; I want to be Your lips, speaking always the truth in love. I want to be Your lips, uplifting things that are just, pure, and good.

I don't want my own wishes, wants, or will to be first; I want to have Your will, always and perfectly worked through my life. I want every breath that I breathe, every step I take, every move I make to be just what You want from me.

"Lord, make my way prosperous - not that I achieve high station; but that my life may be a exhibit to the value of knowing God." - Jim Elliot

1 comment:

  1. So poignant. So true. So convicting.

    Thanks, bloggy friend.

    ReplyDelete