Is that strange?
I love the challenge of trying to do something ordinary, but in unusual circumstances or with limited resources. Making tortillas for 10 hungry people when I don't have a rolling pin or a good pan for frying? And this country doesn't sell shortening? Oh, bring it on! Doing laundry without a washing machine, dryer, or endless bank account to take it to the cleaners? Let's do it! See, it's not a problem, it's a possibility.
Is there something wrong with me? I think I thrive on the challenge more than the actual project. If something is too boring, I won't even bother with it. Enter a hurdle that must be overcome and I'm all over it.
*sigh*
So, I decorated for Christmas. I was actually surprised at the amount of decorations available here. In Game (think mini Wal*mart), there were three or four aisles of decor - lights, packaged gift sets, wrapping paper, ornaments, wreaths, even Christmas trees. Everything seemed to fall into two categories - inexpensive, Oriental Trading quality stuff, and expensive-yet-still-cheap-looking stuff. Hhhmm...I opted for something different.
So my challenge? Make the house Christmasy as cheaply as possible, without lights, without a tree, without anything really. We didn't really even have room for Christmas decorations. We still have 9 people in the house, so we're a little packed in. Oh, and make it look nice, not cheesy.
I bought craft paper and splurged on a package of red raffia (in all, I think I spent 10 dollars). We already had scissors, tape, and a stapler. I just started cutting and taping, stapling and tying to my heart's content.

Bing Crosby was a must for this project. I don't think I would have gotten very far without his crooning to buoy my spirits and make me really feel like it was Christmas, even though the temp was well over 100 that Saturday.
The end results? A lot of paper chains, red raffia bows, and 3D snowflakes. Hey...just working with what I had.






All in all, I think it turned out alright. It will work for us, it was cheap and fun, and in the end, I can wad it all up and throw it away. (Because I am NOT carrying paper chains back to the US in my suitcase, no matter how long it took me to do them!)
It looks great! I'm the same way with the thrill of the challenge...I like tackling projects...especially rewarding ones that can be accomplished in one day. :)
ReplyDeleteYou.
ReplyDeleteare.
awesome.!
LOVE those stars!!
That's incredible! Great job, and thanks for sharing, so inspiring.
ReplyDeleteI must say, I LOVE your attitude and I WISH I were like you. I am the opposite - I get OVERWHELMED!
ReplyDeleteThe decor looks great - so impressed. :)
You definitely have shown us all just what Christmas is about....LOVE. And your willingness to be in spirit of the season.
ReplyDeleteBEAUTIFUL!!
mY tOUR iS nOW sHARED....come by, if you can, to visit. Happy Holidays!
CLICK HERE FOR DIRECT LINK
Wonderful! The story makes it even more special too. Thank you for sharing with us.
ReplyDeleteVery neat! I love your paper stars. I agree that a challange is fun!
ReplyDeleteNever have paper chains looked so lovely :-)
ReplyDeleteMerry Christmas!
Cate
Your 3-d snowflakes are awesome. Your outlook on life is very inspiring.
ReplyDeleteToo fun! Girl, you have some serious paper skills!!!
ReplyDeleteBest decorations I've seen :)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful blog, beautiful decorations, beautiful spirit! Love it! Especially the snowflakes.
ReplyDeleteGreat job! Those stars turned out awesome!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing and inspiring.
Merry Christmas
When I read on the Nester Christmas home tour that someone was posting from Botswana I just had to check it out.
ReplyDeleteLove how you did the post - your love of hurdles to overcome and you sure did.
What beautiful homemade decorations. Your snowflake really looks intricate.
Also scrolled down and was checking out your blog and your adventures in Africa. Fascinating.